2023-24 New Resident Information
We are excited for your arrival to campus--welcome to your new home! Living on campus is the best way for you to make connections with your classmates, make life-long friends, and easily access all of your Tech resources.
Residence Life employs Resident Assistants (RA), Residential Peer Mentors (RPM), and Area Coordinators/Assistant Area Coordinators (AC/AAC) to help you with your transition to Tech and to support you throughout your time here.
New Student Housing Selection: Important Information
- Submitting a Housing Application: The housing application is now available! It requires you to log-in with your WVU credentials ( login.wvu.edu). In addition, a $225 advance payment is required. This $225 payment is credited to your fall bill.
- Room Selection: From March 1 through June 30, you are able to select your own roommates and search potential roommates. After June 30, housing assignments are administratively assigned.
- Selecting a Meal Plan: Meal plans may be selected only after a new student is registered for classes. This section of the housing application does not need to be completed when applying for housing. Once registered for classes, new students should visit https://dining.wvutech.edu/meal-plans to select their meal plan.
- Housing Options: New students are assigned to Hogan Hall. Visit the Hogan Hall website to view photos and floor plans. New transfer students with more than 1 year of credits are assigned to University Hall, pending availability.
Canceling Your Application: If you decide not to attend WVU Tech
and need to cancel your housing application, please email the Office of Student
Tech-Campus-Life@mail.wvu.edu. Your $225 payment will be fully refunded if
you cancel by June 30.
If you cancel after June 30, your payment is forfeited.
Move-In and Orientation
New Resident Move-In is scheduled for Sat, Aug. 12 (12pm - 5pm) and Sun, Aug. 13 (8am - 12pm). Move-In is by appointment. Following move-in is Parent Orientation scheduled for Aug. 13 (1pm - 5pm) and the required New Student Orientation scheduled for Aug. 14 - 15, 2023.
Mail and Package Information
Each residential student is assigned a mailbox by Residence Life. At check-in, each student will receive their mailbox assignment and a mailbox key. A mailroom is located in each residence hall, with package pick-up service available daily.
All mail and packages should be sent to students using the following mailing address:Student Name
Residence Hall Name
410 Neville St. Box XXX
Beckley, WV 25801
- Check machine availability
- Find and reserve machines
- Check hold/wait times for machines
- Set Notification Preferences (reminders for when your laundry is done, when machines are available, etc.)
New Student Checklist
Online Alcohol and Violence Prevention Training
Local Services and Stores
Wifi, Printing, and TechnologyOur residence halls have wireless internet connections only and have community printers available. You must connect your laptops, desktops, tablets and phones to the WVU.Encrypted network. If you are bringing a desktop computer to campus, you will need a 5Ghz dual-band wireless card to connect to our WiFi. Gaming consoles and video-streaming devices must connect to WVU.Play . Go to mydevices.wvu.edu and enter your login credentials, then enter the MAC address of your device.
We look forward to welcoming you to campus! If you have any questions, please reach out to us at 304.929.1238 or TechStudentLife@mail.wvu.edu.
What To Bring and What To Leave at Home
We provide each student with:
You should bring:
|Bed and Mattress (extra long twin)
Desk and Desk Chair
Closet/Wardrobe and Drawer Space
Cable Jack (1 per room)
Wireless Internet Connection
MicroFridge (1 per room)
Trash Can/Recycling Bin
Outdoor Bike Racks
|Sheets (XL twin), blankets, pillows
Broom/Swiffer and mop
Cleaning supplies, disinfecting wipes, and dish soap
First-Aid Kit (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, thermometer)
Surge Protector and/or surge protector extension cords
Plunger, shower caddy, towels, shower shoes,
Soap, shampoo, and other personal hygiene items
Television and gaming system
Moveable storage furniture
Blue Painters Tape (this is the only approved way to hang items on walls)
Insurance Card and insurance information
Classroom supplies, laptop/computer
Clothing, umbrella, jackets, hangers
Laundry cleaning supplies, clothes basket
Reusable water bottle, plates, cups
|ITEMS NOT PERMITTED|
Alcohol containers (full or empty)
Small extension cords/multi-receptacle outlets
Pets (fish are allowed, in one tank up to 10 gallons only)
LED Strip lights
Command Strips or other 'removable' hooks/tape
|Portable Heaters (electric, kerosene, etc.)
Free weights over 20 pounds
Electric or charcoal grills
Any appliance/item with an open flame or open coils
Drums and amplified equipment
Gasoline or any combustible or flammable liquid
Portable clothes washer/dishwasher
At this time, the only cooking appliance that a student may have in their room is a MicroFridge microwave. These refrigerator/freezer/microwave units are more functional and efficient than individual units. All residents are provided a MicroFridge per room.